Tuesday, November 17, 2009

November 15, 2009

Last weekend I really got a taste of the poverty that plagues the city of Kampala, the country of Uganda and the continent of Africa, and realized just how complex a problem it is. On the evening of November 8th I accompanied Roger, from New Beginnings, into the downtown slums of Kampala. These slums are home to thousands of men, women and teenagers many of whom struggle with addictions. It is also home to Joshua and Joseph, two young men whom Roger has befriended over the years. Earlier that evening Roger asked me if I was interested in visiting Joshua, Joseph and the many other young residents of the slums and if I would “give them a word”. Unsure of what giving them a word meant and even more unsure of what I was going to say I agreed without hesitation trusting God would give me something intelligent to say.

We arrived after dark and the streets were busy with vendors, avid football (soccer) fans and people seeking an evening meal. The dirt “roads” were eerily lit by candles, kerosene lanterns and the odd street light; hardly a place appealing of an evening visit. With that being said I felt perfectly safe during my visit and even welcome.

We eventually found Joshua and Joseph; rather they found us, as it is not an easy task finding a Ugandan in the dark. I was quickly bombarded by names, handshakes and questions. After a meeting and greeting nearly twenty young men Roger told them all to sit and listen to what the pastor, me, had to say. They quickly sat and were ready to hear whatever it was that I had to say. Roger wanted me to mention that the streets were no place for them to live but other than that it was up to me. I started out with who I was and why I was in Uganda and then proceeded to tell them that the God who loved me and brought me to Uganda also loved them and had a plan for their life. I also encouraged those who had families to go home as the streets were only going to bring them harm.

I am not sure if anything I said that night sunk in but I trust God has a great plan for their lives and that he used me to play a small part in getting them on track. I did however come to the realization that getting people off the streets and pursuing something productive is no easy task. You cannot simply throw money at the situation, as they will most likely spend foolishly. You cannot tell them to get a job as few, if any, posses any type of training or education. And you cannot tell them to go to school as most secondary schools in Uganda cost money, money that they do not have or cannot keep. So how does one begin to find a solution to this problem? The only answer that I can think of is to develop friendships. To spend time with them, learn about them, earn their trust and love on them. That in my opinion would be a good start.

Things at the babies home, and specifically in the premie room have been busy the last little while. Last week Sarah received Zack, a 6 week old, 1.1kg term baby who is severely malnourished. We ask that you would all pray that Zack would begin to gain weight and strength so that he may enjoy a normal life. For those of you wondering how Meg is doing, she took her first bottle this past week and is making Sarah very proud. It was a measly 18ml but a huge step for Meg. Outside the babies home Sarah treated herself to a new African hairstyle. Pictures are available on Facebook.

Life at the shop is as busy as always and a little more stressful as Gerry is on a much deserved leave visiting family and friends back in Ohio. While my goal is still to get to know the people that I am working with, much of my time has been spent constructing kitchen cabinets for a job in Kampala. They turned out not too bad if I do say so myself. Those of you interested in the timber kiln…It is currently on its maiden voyage and so far so good. While the sun has not been out much at all the last little while, the timber is drying slowly but surly. With all of the building going on within Watoto much furniture will need to be constructed in the next few months. I am looking forward to learning much. Please pray for continued safety at the shop (God gave us 10 finders and we would like to keep in that way), that my relationships would continue to deepen and that God would give me opportunity to encourage and minister to my new friends.

No comments: