Saturday, September 19, 2009

September 19, 2009

The last four days have been quite “normal” if I can say that. I mean, as normal as the days can be living in a completely foreign country and culture. But I think after living in Uganda for almost three weeks now, Sarah and I are beginning to feel a little more at home and a little more comfortable and useful in our respective roles.

Sarah received a new preemie baby at the home on Wednesday and she is a tiny little thing for being a month old. She is malnourished weighing a measly 1.8 kg or 4 lbs. Zara is here name, which Sarah thinks is quite similar to her own. Both their names actually mean the same thing – Princess –, which they both certainly are.

Life at the Production Unit is quite busy as we have a lot of furniture to build. I feel as though I am finally settling in and able to work, joke and converse (some in Lugandan) with my fellow co-workers. Since arriving I have been working along side a fellow named Rashid building some heavy-duty chairs and couches for the various children’s homes. After much prep work we were finally able to begin assembling and it was great to see a finished product. I have also had the opportunity to teach a little as well. At Suubi there is a vocational school where kids that are interested in the trades can learn theory and practical skills. As part of their training they are able to come down to the shop and work along side the guys there. It was a neat experience to do a little teaching. Relationship wise I feel as though I am beginning to get to know the guys and am excited to go deeper over the next 7.5 months. I have especially got to know a fellow named Richard as well as I can, due to language barriers. Richard has definitely been my guardian angel during the first three weeks as he has gone out of his way everyday to teach me how to take the matatu’s (14 seat public transit). If it wasn’t for him I would have been completely lost, especially walking between the old and new taxi parks which is about a 5-10 minute walk through a sea of taxis, bodas, buses and Ugandans. I have learned to run when crossing the street, swivel my hips to avoid people and vehicles and not to fear when oncoming traffic is in your lane. It is absolute chaos.

Outside of work we have gotten to know many new mzungu’s (white people) and Ugandans and feel blessed to have met them all. It is amazing how God has provided us with a little community in such a short time. We have also found out that we will be able to move to the Suubi village in mid-October, which will allow us to have our own two bedroom flat. We will cook and clean for our selves and have one of the greatest views out our front window (pictures coming soon). Being at Suubi will also give us opportunity to deepen relationships and have people over. We are looking forward to the move.

We hope you all are doing well and love hearing from you. Keep it up.

God’s blessings!

No comments: